Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Simple living high thinking


I've been dreaming of downshifting for some few good years now: living outside on a sustainable farm, having goats and growing sunflowers, making my own bread and jams, being dependent on seasons, listening to the Moon and just connecting to the roots (our gramma was from a village in Southern Russia and I still remember the taste of fresh figues, smell of real tomatoes and the pain in my hands beating butter). Simple living - easy thinking, right? Total locavoring, not asking for more than you need, being grateful for every small thing coming from the Earth to your table, feeling the tastes and the smells right in their origins... And do you know what? I happened to spend one night in such a place here in India. A little paradise between Rerih's fields, a small settlement with ten clay houses with members of one clan-family living there (hm, though they were around fifty if you count all the aunties and all the kids!). Ananda, my friend from vipassana center in Dharamkot, invited me to his place after my vipassana-sitting in Dehradun and I managed to make my way through the mountains (3 hours on a jeep) to spend one eve in this beautiful, full of love house. 









During the monsoon they grow corn, potatoes and even their own dhal (lentils). They have 7 cows (read milk, curd, butter, lassi), no running water, one bed for 5 family members and they live totally with the sun. They also treat their guests like gods - hm, add to that the fact that I was the first foreigner to visit the house! The whole family followed me around the settlement and children would stare at me and laugh hiding behind their fathers if I'd look at them, oh, and one poor little boy cried of fear just because I wanted to talk to him! 
The food was the yammiest here in India, because it was ALL (except some potatoes) grown with their own hands and prepared in a very simple way on the open fire - no gaz!: rice, dhal, curd, veggies, lassi, corn chapaties... I left the house blissed and all melted, thinking of how peaceful and happy the whole family was - four generations living together (and special topic is children - I don't think that things like "terrible twos" or "sensitive child" or tantrums or any kind of disrespect towards parents or each other exist - seriously, this could be a separate discussion...). 
So now thinking of THE place for my dreams to come true...

No comments: