Sunday, July 22, 2012

10 years commitments

Thanks to my best Katja have just finished a small article by Steve Pavlina about commitments. The main phrase would be:


"While it's perfectly okay to dabble in a variety of interests to discover what you enjoy, if you really want to get good at something, a serious commitment is required. Dabbling is great for experimenting, but it's lousy for long-term skill building. To master a skill, move beyond dabbling and make a serious commitment to your craft."




Steve suggests that one should (while dabbling) choose some exact goals and make them into 10 years commitment. He claims it to be a very helpful system. 


I said to myself WHY NOT? I've always been lacking this inner motivation and will of power to finish what I've started on a good level: I've tried to dive, to learn how to juggle, to speak Portuguese, to play guitar, to enjoy calligraphy, to fast, to make DIY cosmetics, to take good pix, to study history, to settle down in several countries, to meditate, to do yoga. And in most cases my motivation was blown away by the wind of changes, let it be mistral... I know I'm a scanner and I know I am doing best when jumping from one activity to another. But I also tend to be a "drop-it-half-way" exactly because of lack of commitment. Commitment makes your decision grounded and strong. Well, first of all it MAKES YOUR DECISION :) It also makes you set up several small goals on the way and - which is of most importance - to understand WHY you are doing this or that. Not just "ehhhh because it's fun", cause when the goal is difficult to achieve (let's say "be good at playing arphe")  having fun will not be enough on a long term basis. So in order to come where you are willing to come you should have a good "pusher". This can be the commitment you take being fully aware of why you're taking it. This seems to be the best motivation! 

So... for the next ten years I chose:

- speaking perfect Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
- being a master of Tibetan Massage
- being 100% vegan
- learn to bellydance 
- becoming established in  meditation (vipassana, dzogchen, heart meditation)


Some of these thing I started with, but they seem to be hobbies, not smth I am committed to... 

This August I'll turn 30, so in 10 years - on my 40th birthday I'll check this out to see where I turn to be on my path!

Announcing all that makes me dizzy and scared already, cause I am really good in procrastinating and looking for excuses NOT to do smth (even if I like it) as soon as there's an effort to be done...
If you have any experiences in pushing your limits and promising smth to yourself, you are warmly welcome to share and to inspire me :)




BE HAPPY!!!




No comments: