Sunday, July 22, 2012

Vegan? Are you kidding me?

Well, one hour after having written the post about commitments I said to myself that one of the topics on the list could be done NOW, I don't have to go for a 10 years delay or try to work my muscles on it... And tadaaaaam, I suppose there are no more excuses for me not to be vegan (I've always been saying that I lack cheese, cause I love cheese, I adore it, I am ready to spread a good piece of cheese over my face, cheese is my everything, but then I realized that I survived almost without cheese in India, 4 months! and I don't really NEED it... Eggs and milk - I don't eat dairy, but I wouldn't say no if it was used by someone else for something they had cooked up for me). The same with my everlasting excuse about eggs - I don't usually eat them but I'm always saying "ehhh, it's ok if eggs are in the pie, right? Just once, just in this pie..." Etc. etc. etc. 

Not that I need to become vegan, but I've wanted to for several years now. When you start being vegetarian for some ethic reasons sooner or later you come to veganism, I think. And I wonder now WHY I didn't switch to vegan diet before. The answer is "lack of motivation" and "tomorrow-i'll-do'it" promises to myself (like the one I had recently: I made a beautiful strawberry cottage cheese pie and couldn't say no to it, and decided I'd start once it's finished... my way of treating reality :)

And now I clearly understood that becoming vegan is a good way of training my will. I'm not forcing myself this time. I just DECIDED. Once and for all... So simple!!! I'm not cheating myself or trading with myself any more (like before, when eating Oltermanni, cause it doesn't have rennet in it...).

I think I'm not gonna be the extreme vegan, I am not going to track all the E-s on the package, thinking if they have animal origins (well, I think Ill just get rid of the E-s in my diet). I'm not going to try to persuade my parents that eating vegan is good for me. I'm not even gonna tell them :). I am not gonna say no to a soap in someone's bathroom if I'm not sure it hasn't been tested on animals. Santi shanti...
I'll take the simple way. A lot of raw food, no substitutes, as much frugality as possible, a good kitchen and a good web-site with vegan recipes :). 

Mamma mia, it sounds much better than I thought, as if a new life is starting!!!
I'll go and celebrate it with a vegan rice milk banana strawberry smoothie :)

Be happy and healthy! And go vegan if you want!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej dear Janka! I'm glad you took this descision:) And nowadays there's so many substitutes for animal products, so you can make cheesecake and lots of other things you want!! Some creative people have made very nice recipes:) You can check out my friends homepage/blog: Pinto
All the best my friend:)
Love, Elin

Yana said...

Dear Elin!!! THANKS for the support, I've been veganazing for a while already, but always coming back to my vegetarian diet. Now it seems to be rather strong as a decision! I'll check Pinto out :)
BE HAPPY
Janka